Blog: My father’s death inspired me to become a nurse
When her father passed away from acute myeloid leukaemia, Karen McGuigan decided to make a drastic change in her life and fulfil her lifelong ambition to become a nurse
I am 28 year-old nursing student in my second year of training. Two years ago, I watched my father pass away from Acute Myeloid Leukaemia.
This was the most difficult experience of my life. During the time my father was unwell I was both privileged and sad to witness some of the best and some of the worst care. This inspired me to make a drastic change in my life and follow my desire to become a nurse. I wanted to help others, and to prevent them from feeling how my father did.
The decision to retrain was an easy one as nursing was something I had always wanted to do. Now...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests