Write a reflective account
Describe what you have learned from a CPD article in a reflective account and gain a certificate of learning.
The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) wants to encourage reflective practice so that nurses and midwives actively consider the role of the Code in their professional development and identify any changes they can make to improve their practice.
Each reflective account must refer to either an example of your continuing professional development (CPD), a piece of practice-related feedback, or an event or experience in your own practice and how this relates to the Code.
The authors of reflective accounts that are published in Nursing Standard receive a £50 book token
Write a reflective account based on what you learned from a CPD article published in one of our journals and you can gain a certificate of learning.
If you base your reflective account on a CPD article that appeared in Nursing Standard, you can choose to submit it for publication in the journal. The authors of reflective accounts that are published in Nursing Standard receive a £50 book token.
Write your reflective account using the template outlined in the official NMC form, available via the website here. The form consists of four reflective questions relating to a CPD activity you have undertaken.
Aim to write around 800 words in total, focusing on what you learned from the CPD article and how you changed or improved your practice as a result.
An example of a Nursing Standard reflective account completed using the NMC form can be found here.
Entries can be submitted by email to email@example.com. Please note:
- You are entitled to unlimited free entries
- Submissions will only be accepted if they are received within a year of the date the CPD article was published
- You will be informed of your result in writing
- A certificate is awarded for successful completion of the reflective account
- You are entitled to one retake if you are unsuccessful
- Feedback is not provided. A certificate of learning indicates that you have been successful
- Indicate in your entry if you wish your reflective account to be considered for publication
To submit your reflective account to Nursing Standard, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write ‘Reflective account’ at the top of your entry, followed by your name and the title of the article. The information below must also be included:
- Job title
- Place of work
- Full title and date of article, including article number
- Home address
- Phone number
- Email address
- I would like my reflective account to be considered for publication in Nursing Standard:
Yes / No
Read reflective accounts
Read how other people related a CPD article to their practice in the reflective accounts section here.
RCNi Portfolio makes revalidation simple
- Developed to help you meet the NMC’s revalidation requirements, RCNi Portfolio lets you store, build and track your evidence in one easy to manage online space.
- RCNi Portfolio is available on its own or as part of an RCNi Journal, RCNi Learning or RCNi Ultimate subscription package.
- Find out more today