Diabetes management at the end of life: advice for non-specialist nurses
End of life care involves a shift in focus from reaching targets to avoiding distressing symptoms
How prevalent is diabetes?
According to the charity Diabetes UK, more than 4.9 million people in the UK have diabetes, about 90% of whom have type 2.
The number of those with the condition has doubled over the past two decades, mainly due to the rapid rise of those with type 2, says its report Tackling the Crisis .
One in six people in a hospital bed has diabetes and those with diabetes are twice as likely to be admitted, the charity says .
It predicts that 5.5 million people will have diabetes in the UK by
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests