Lesley Jones: The NHS needs us all to move towards a digital future
NHS Improvement’s nurse fellow for digital health says collaboration is needed to introduce new IT systems and technology
Healthcare organisations are moving towards a digital future at different speeds, with many nurses contributing to and leading digital innovation in their workplaces.
Strong leadership is vital in making digital innovation in healthcare a success, with effective leadership at board level essential to maintaining patient safety through data security. Strong board leadership is also required for securing funding; digital systems will invariably have hidden costs, and maintenance and support needs must be factored in and managed from the start.
Positivity and engagement
Introducing a digital system is not one person’s crusade, it is an interprofessional team effort. Engaging with staff, patients, the public and collaborative partners, where possible, is equally important to success – if we don’t learn to share the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests