Jane Bates: safe staffing is more than just a numbers game
Cuts to administrative support and increasing amounts of ‘paperwork’ are taking nurses away from patients’ bedsides, says Jane Bates
Nothing gives a worse impression to the public than a nurse sitting at a desk, tapping away, when he or she should be at the bedside with patients.
But what are we supposed to do? With so much ‘paperwork’ now involving computers, I spend a good deal of time inputting data, which feels wrong.
A friend of mine has a different perspective. He is part of a team that deals with research and investigation into how the NHS functions – a troubleshooter, in other words – and many of his colleagues find it difficult to understand why clinical staff do not keep records as strictly as they could.
I recently put him right about nurses’ duty of care being to their patients, and that our priority...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests