Reducing health inequalities
A CPD article improved Christine Mason’s understanding of the importance of reducing health inequalities for people with serious mental illness
What was the nature of the CPD activity, practice-related feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The CPD article outlined the health inequalities that people with serious mental illness (SMI) may experience. It acknowledged the barriers they often encounter in accessing healthcare services, and discussed how lifestyle behaviours, symptoms of mental illness and the side effects of medication can contribute to reduced life expectancy.
What did you learn from the CPD activity, feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
People with SMI may experience several barriers in relation to physical healthcare, including difficulty identifying physical health concerns, accessing healthcare services and receiving treatment.
I learned that these difficulties may be compounded by cognitive impairment associated with...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests