Nurse's dedication and support helped us deal with son's diabetes diagnosis
Nurse Janet Mason-Douglas made sure Lynsey Connelly's young son knew diabetes wasn't going to hinder him
When my son Luca was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes it was a massive shock, not only for my son but also for my husband and I. Our world was turned upside down.
We were quickly introduced to children's diabetes nurse Janet Mason-Douglas, who works at Bensham Hospital in Gateshead. Straight away she gave us all of the information we needed to know – and as much as we could handle – to help us deal with this together.
It was just days before my son’s birthday and he thought it meant he would miss his party and not get the chance to enjoy his food and play. One of the first things Janet said was: ‘You will have your party and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests