Nurse staffing: can retirees solve the patient care crisis?
Retiring and recently retired staff have been urged to help clear the NHS patient backlog – some say a ‘quick fix’ may work, others ask if burnt-out staff will want to return
Nurses are being urged to delay or come out of retirement and increase contracted hours to help fight the record backlog in patient care.
NHS England appeal for retirees to return
In a letter sent to trusts in early May, NHS England appealed for retiring and recently retired nurses and doctors to stay on or come back to work part-time or from home in virtual wards. But is this the solution to the current care crisis?
Nursing Standard readers have their say.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests