Book Review: A Perioperative Model and Framework for Practice
Models and frameworks of nursing are often difficult to understand, and applying this to a speciality that continuously has to justify the fact that nurses are needed in perioperative care provides its own challenges.
This book does not claim to be an exhaustive commentary on perioperative practice, which is refreshing.
Aimed at nurses working in perioperative care, it describes applying perioperative knowledge in practice. However, there are also sections applicable to nurses outside the theatre environment.
There is an interesting chapter on the role of the anaesthetic nurse specialist, which extends the traditional anaesthetic nurse role to pre and postoperative care. Some of the chapters are brief and basic however, and although teamwork is an element of the framework, the discussion of roles is unnecessary.
There could be more about the actual perioperative model and framework. Also, the content...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring more than 200 topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- RCNi Learning featuring 180 CPD-accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests