Workplace: How to support nurses whose service is to be restructured
Question: What would be the best advice and support to give a group of nurses who have been told their service is to be restructured?
First of all, ascertain whether the nurses who have approached you are members of the RCN.
Then contact the human resources department to obtain the document detailing the service restructure. Make a note of the salient points, including the rationale for the reorganisation, the posts at risk and how likely it is to affect patient care. List all the issues that you believe will arise from the proposed restructure.
Your trust will have a change policy that details the process for dealing with situations that arise when changing the way a service is delivered. Also consider issues such as consultation, alternative employment, redundancy and Agenda for Change pay protection.
Ask the nurses to articulate their concerns. They will see the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests