Medicines management: How can I encourage uptake of the meningitis vaccine?
Cases of meningitis W are rising rapidly in England, with university first-year students most at risk. Encouraging uptake of the meningitis ACWY vaccine is imperative if we are to protect young people from this horrific illness, says medicines management expert Matt Griffiths
In my column about the meningitis ACWY vaccine written around this time last year I warned that the worryingly rapid growth in meningitis W cases across England would continue unless more people were vaccinated.
Unfortunately, this now seems to be the case. In 2009-10 there were 22 reported cases of meningitis W, rising to 117 by 2014. This figure has now risen again, with a staggering 210...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests