Why the NHS needs a people’s vote on the final Brexit deal
We must break the deadlock and reassure our EU nurses, says the RCN’s Dame Donna Kinnair
We have almost 40,000 nursing vacancies in the NHS in England alone and the uncertainty that has followed the 2016 EU referendum has not helped.
Since the decision to leave the EU, we have seen more than 10,000 nurses and midwives from the EU leave our workforce. This is a trend we cannot allow to continue.
Nurses from the EU need certainty
While we need urgent action and investment to expand our domestic workforce, nursing staff from across the EU play a vital part in providing care to patients in the UK. Nurse leaders have told us that recruiting nurses from the EU is essential for the proper functioning of the UK's health services.
Despite this, we are losing our EU nurses...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests