Jane Bates: Nanny knows best
Jane Bates argues the case for a bit more nannying
The patient presented at our clinic with a rip-roaring eye infection, ten days post-surgery. ‘Can I have some antibiotics?’ he asked.
There was something not quite right here. ‘Didn’t we give you antibiotic drops after your operation?’ I asked, knowing full well that we had. ‘To prevent infection?’
He attempted a devil-may-care wink, but it was too painful. ‘Oh yes, he said, ‘but I didn’t use them. I’m a man,' he explained, with a twinkle in the eye that was still functioning. ‘You know what we men are like. We just don’t play by the rules.’
Okay, Dirty Harry
A Dirty Harry attitude is hard to maintain when a part of your body is red, sore and weeping pus, so we let that one go. Okay – we...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests