Good management, not legislation, is the key to safe staffing
UK-wide safe staffing laws are only a small part of the solution
The RCN has called for legislation on safe staffing throughout the UK, following similar initiatives in Wales and Scotland. But while there is an appetite within the profession for legislation, is it really the means by which safe staffing levels can be achieved, patients protected and nurses supported? I am not convinced it is.
There is widespread recognition that appropriate nurse staffing is critical to safe patient care, but little discussion of the fact that it sits alongside the need for the right staffing in other disciplines too.
An art as well as a science
The boards of healthcare organisations have governance responsibilities for regulated services to ensure they are safe and effective. This means that with or without legislation, each board is accountable for staffing of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests