New technology needs to work for nurses
As chief nursing information officer at a hospital trust, Helen Goodman ensures digital systems and devices make life easier for nurses, not harder
The roles of chief nursing information officer (CNIO) and chief clinical information officer (CCIO) are appearing in an increasing number of trusts – but some nurses are asking what the post-holders actually do. Is this just another layer of management?
My role as CNIO bridges the worlds of information technology (IT) and nursing. I aim to help nursing colleagues with the challenges that technology brings. I am also here to help them find ways that electronic or digital systems can remove repetitive, manual tasks, releasing time and providing rich sources of data for use in business cases, audits or research.
The Wachter review, a report from the National Advisory Group on Health Information Technology...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests