‘How I turned a demoralised group into a strong, diverse team’
Sandra Bennett’s leadership unlocked the potential of a struggling multicultural team
When Sandra Bennett took up her role as integrated sexual health lead nurse at Whipps Cross and Newham university hospitals in London, she soon realised her team was struggling.
‘There was lots of infighting, pain and confusion,’ says Ms Bennett, who is employed by Barts Health NHS Trust. ‘There was no management structure, job descriptions or record of any recent appraisals.
Lack of direction
She says the lack of training and management for the nursing team caused such problems in the service that many local people gave up trying to get contraception.
‘Nurses could not prescribe or offer contraception, so waiting times and complaints had increased as patients had to wait to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests