How does your manager recognise excellent practice?
Chief nurse Carolyn Fox explains the power of celebrating what staff do well
A handwritten note is among the ways that chief nurse Carolyn Fox lets staff know they are doing a great job.
‘It happens if I see good practice when I’m out and about,’ says Ms Fox, who works at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, one of the biggest in the country. ‘It takes just a couple of minutes, but it’s very powerful.’
Learn from successes
Recognising excellent nursing practice is at the heart of her approach. ‘Of course, it’s critical that we learn when things have gone wrong, but there’s as much to learn when things have gone well,’ says Ms Fox, who came to Leicester in October 2018 from Northampton General Hospital,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests