Show courage: Don't be afraid to ask your manager for support
It's part of a nurse's role to offer kindness and care, but how brave do they feel when asking for them themselves?
I recently attended our local operatic society’s production of The Wizard of Oz. It was a great evening, with lots of glitz and a fair few innuendos thrown in to keep us on our toes.
Yet when the drama and hilarity was over, it wasn’t just the colourful costumes that stuck in my mind; I kept thinking about the Cowardly Lion and how his apparent lack of bravery brought him such shame.
Fortunately, it all worked out in the end. The Cowardly Lion would say the Wizard ‘gave’ him courage, but what we really saw was the lion finding strengths he had all along.
This led me to reflect on the notion of courage and where it fits...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests