Book review: Rise: Surviving and Thriving after Trauma
Tears and sadness, love and laughter are intertwined in this inspirational and moving book. It details the journey of Sian Williams, who was diagnosed with breast cancer just after her 50th birthday, resulting in her needing a double mastectomy.
In this well-researched text, the reader is privileged to share the television presenter's cancer pathway. It is well written, honest and comes from the heart. The author explores the immediate impact of a trauma as well as post-traumatic stress syndrome. The development of resilience is explored and sensible and practical advice is offered by experts as well as individuals who have suffered a trauma in terms of how they felt and how they coped. Throughout the text, the reader is encouraged to grow, gain courage and strength and overall regain confidence in life.
Sian’s personal diary extracts add to the book uniqueness. It is a...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests