Workforce: what is the attraction of Magnet hospitals?
With the emphasis on strong nurse leadership, continuing education and adequate staffing levels, Magnet accreditation is highly relevant to current NHS priorities, says workforce expert James Buchan
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust is the latest in a small, select band of UK hospitals working to achieve Magnet hospital accreditation.
Along with Oxford University Hospitals and the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust in Birmingham, Nottingham is a key member of the new UK Magnet Alliance, which brings together UK health care organisations interested in pursuing Magnet recognition.
First identified in the United States more than 30 years ago, Magnet hospitals were so-called because of their ability to attract and retain nurses, with later research also pointing to better than average care outcomes.
The US has...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests