Workforce: Robots may take other jobs, but they can’t do what a nurse can do
Care bots – robots that assist older people – are being used in Japan, and researchers in the US are looking to create robotic nurse assistants. The good news for registered nurses is that they are unlikely to be replaced by technology just yet, says workforce expert James Buchan
‘An estimated 85% of jobs in 2030 haven’t been invented yet’. This attention-grabbing headline generated by a study from the Institute for the Future caused speculation about new job titles, such as drone traffic controller and robot mediator, with the latter focusing on helping workers cope with their non-human work colleagues.
A glimpse of the future? Or not relevant...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests