Workforce: NHS homes fund would give staff a glimmer of hope
NHS Confederation proposal for a £10 billion housing fund for workers shows creativity in supporting NHS staff, says workforce expert James Buchan
Buried in the recent avalanche of negative news about nursing shortages and Brexit is a glimmer of hope – perhaps.
The NHS Confederation has floated the idea of setting up a £10 billion NHS homes fund to enable the health service to provide staff housing. With the average UK house price being more than £200,000 – almost £500,000 in London – it is no surprise that NHS employers are struggling to recruit.
Many NHS workers cannot afford to buy a home near their workplace, or within easy commuting distance. NHS pay has been capped for the past seven...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests