Nicola Sturgeon's offer to nurses poses challenge to unions and employers
The more Scotland goes its own way on pay, the more it will have to be equipped to handle its own processes
Another pay announcement, another step away from UK-wide pay determination for nurses?
In a bid to beat the UK government announcement of the three-year NHS pay deal in England, first minister for Scotland Nicola Sturgeon announced in early June an interim pay rise of 3% for NHS staff in Scotland.
Make no mistake, the Scottish Government was making a political point by the timing of the announcement. The aim was to draw a clear line between Scotland and England, and show the Scottish Government as being more ‘responsive’ to NHS staff needs.
This interim pay award has now been...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests