Flexible retirement from the NHS: your options if the end of working life is in sight
There are more ways to retire than a once-and-for-all break with your career, your colleagues and your salary. Find out how you can ease the transition
How many nurses are nearing retirement age?
Almost one in five (16%) of nurses in England and Wales are aged 55 or over, according to the National Audit Office’s report on the NHS nursing workforce , published in March 2020.
This rises to 19% in mental health trusts, 23% in community providers, and 35% of nurses working in primary care.
According to the audit office report, training body Health Education England estimated some 41,000 nurses, or 13% of the workforce, will retire between 2018 and 2024.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests