Workforce wake-up call: can the NHS survive the Big Quit?
After a gruelling two years and with ongoing staff shortages, UK nurses are following a global trend of resigning
In the US, it has been called the ‘Big Quit or ‘Great Resignation’.
A staggering 4.3 million Americans left their jobs in August 2021, according to the US Bureau of Labor – the highest number on record. And something similar may be happening in the UK.
Vacancies rise as people redefine what they want from their job
Latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show job vacancies across the UK at a record high of 1.102 million for the three months from July-September 2021, an increase of 318,000 on the pre-pandemic level.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests