Workforce: NHS plan is doomed unless staff shortage is solved
James Buchan likens the NHS Long Term Plan to an overly ambitious new year’s resolution
New year, new plan?
The NHS has just published its Long Term Plan. Think of it as a long list of very ambitious new year’s resolutions.
These include expansion of the diabetes prevention programme, better treatment for respiratory conditions, more information and training for NHS staff to support people with learning disabilities, and an extra £4.5 billion investment in out-of-hospital care, including digital GP consultations.
But with the NHS currently running with more than 40,000 nursing vacancies, if there is no improvement in staffing there...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests