‘Wanted: superhuman angel nurses who will make a difference’
What happens when recruitment ads promote an image of nurses as martyrs
We are all no doubt familiar with the advertisement for nursing home staff nurses that has infuriated so many.
Was it designed to provoke? Was it a wind-up? Whatever the intention, you can’t fault it for the way it grabbed our attention.
Poor portrayal of nurses’ roles
This ad did what an ad is supposed to do – it had us in its thrall, because it seemed like a parody. Might it have been an NHS manager’s wish list for an ideal employee: only angels or automatons need apply.
Nurses are, of course, compassionate and caring people. If we’re not
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests