Voices - Direct and indirect care nurses all play important roles, says Viv Bennett
I found this question interesting, as Public Health England (PHE) is a pilot site for revalidation under the new Nursing and Midwifery Council code. As I prepared for my ‘shadow’ revalidation, I thought about nursing in terms of direct and indirect patient care.
The Code’s four themes apply equally to direct and indirect care. Nurses in public health roles have particular practice and leadership responsibilities, as stated in ‘pay special attention to promoting wellbeing, preventing ill health and meeting the changing health and care needs of people during all life stages’, as well as in ‘provide leadership to make sure people’s wellbeing is protected’.
The PHE system enables public health nurses to align revalidation evidence to the Code and the six domains for population health, namely: wider determinants of health, health improvement, health protection, healthcare public health, supporting wellbeing and independence, and the life course....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests