Viv Bennett: Vaccines save lives, so let’s get the message out
The World Immunisation Week campaign urges nurses to help patients understand the value of vaccination
Today marks the start of World Immunisation Week, a global campaign celebrating the successes of vaccines and highlighting the ongoing efforts needed to ensure everyone is protected from vaccine-preventable diseases.
This year's theme – #VaccinesWork – is about providing optimum protection from potentially fatal diseases for our communities. We are urging nurses, health visitors and midwives to champion the importance of taking up the offer of vaccination.
From the historic vaccine that eliminated smallpox many years ago to the life-saving modern day ones for flu and HPV, vaccines remain our best and most cost-effective line of defence for many diseases. They save millions of lives every year.
Vaccine uptake is...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests