Safe staffing: mandatory nurse-to-patient ratios may be the ‘blunt tool’ that England needs
New nursing workforce standards do not go far enough to help the country play catch-up on safe staffing
In May, t he RCN launched its new nursing workforce standards , which represent a step forward in its contribution to promoting safe nurse staffing in the UK.
The 14 standards are intended to be used by all nursing staff, as well as those who fund, plan, commission, design, review and provide services that require a nursing workforce.
This is both their main strength and limitation. The objective is to have universal application, but the safe
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests