Nurses in the food bank queue: why has it come to this?
Despite being underpaid, most nurses still have salaries at or above the national average and yet some are forced to resort to handouts
Thunk! The ball went straight into the back of the net.
When former prime minister Gordon Brown talked about nurses having to rely on food banks at RCN congress in June, he was facing an open goal, and he went for it.
Nurses are underpaid for the work they do
The issue of nurses and food banks is a great crowd-stirrer, and Mr Brown had the audience in the palm of his hand.
But what did he do for nurses when he was in power? Er… exactly. Nevertheless, it was one–nil
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests