Josie Irwin: Government’s offer is a leap in the right direction
A rise of 6.5% over three years is not a panacea, but the offer is free of unpalatable demands, so RCN members will be encouraged to accept, says the college’s lead pay negotiator
Six months after more than 2,000 RCN members descended on Westminster to ask the government to ‘scrap the cap’, they now stand to benefit from their biggest pay rise in more than ten years.
The RCN’s campaign helped pave the way for Jeremy Hunt to announce in October last year that the pay cap was scrapped and for pay talks to begin.
Our goal was to see if the money the chancellor said he would make available in return for contract reform could be used to make the pay structure better and fairer, as well as giving...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests