Jane Bates: Where does the nursing associate role leave qualified nurses?
The introduction of the nursing associate role highlights years of poor decision-making and qualified nurses need their questions answered, says Jane Bates
Physician associates, nursing associates before long everyone in the NHS will be associated with their job without being fully qualified to do it. Will we have associate managers? Associate MPs? The whole thing is quite odd.
If these nursing associates will be equivalent to the enrolled nurses of the past, why dont the powers-that-be just say so? Im sure we would all be happier.
As it stands, it is all rather unclear. Will they be regulated? Who will be accountable for them? Will they be dispensing medication, running wards?
As to who will be providing the practical instruction, presumably that will be trained nurses...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring more than 200 topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- RCNi Learning featuring 180 CPD-accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests