Jane Bates: Tiresome taboo over period pains
It is time to stop being embarrassed about menstruation and show more understanding for those who feel they must endure monthly misery in silence, says Jane Bates
Some of the expressions for having a period are amusing. As a Chelsea supporter, ‘Arsenal are playing at home’ is a particular favourite.
But why is it such a no-go area to mention a woman’s monthly bout of bleeding? Why does it have to be couched in euphemisms? For goodness sake, in this day and age – not much else is taboo, but menstruation is still unmentionable.
Not that we would wish to be labelled ‘unclean’ as women were years ago and kept hidden...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests