Jane Bates: Patients need to keep their cool
As autumn approaches, Jane Bates recalls summer's struggle with patients wanting to keep the hospital cool during a heatwave
This is what it’s like to be a Walkers crisp, I thought, as I became so dehydrated I was unable to speak. My cheeks were glowing embers and I was gasping like a goldfish short of an aquarium.
Day after day I billowed around in scrubs of marquee proportions, perspiring like a horse who’d just won the 3:30 at Kempton Park. Yes, I’m talking about the heatwave.
Don’t get me wrong, I loved every sizzling minute of our sensational summer, but some people did not. And most of them seemed to pitch up in our department.
That’s the funny thing about the British public – they seem to think we have superpowers. Parts of Europe were literally burning up, apocalyptic warnings...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests