Jane Bates: Nurses are rapidly becoming an endangered species
Brexit and the 1% pay cap are putting the future of nurses and the NHS at risk. The situation is critical and the time to act is now, says Jane Bates
Along with my fellow wildlife enthusiasts, I am concerned about the decline in the number of butterflies. We can only hope that the dry and warm weather at the end of June will have boosted their numbers.
Butterflies are not the only creatures under threat though. With our exit from the European Union and the 1% pay cap still in place, we only have a fraction of the nurses the country needs to ensure a healthy future for the NHS, and the nation.
We are an endangered species, folks. Soon people with swanky binoculars and expensive cameras will be searching us out. ‘Quick! Over here! Oh no,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests