Jane Bates: How can a board game lead to a broken rib?
Forget risky sports and drinking too much alcohol, a sedate game of Scrabble is the biggest danger to health, says Jane Bates
Given the present rise in demand for NHS services, and the lack of resources, surely it would be a good idea for us all to take care of ourselves just a teeny bit more?
‘We should avoid crowded places, where bugs can hop from person to person,’ I burbled on to a friend. ‘Not take part in risky sports, or drink too much… blah, blah, blah…’
‘Run around the garden or local park a few times for exercise, then hunker down at home,’ she agreed. ‘Out of danger so we’re not putting a strain on medical services in these difficult times.’
Far too risky
Later that evening, we played a game of Scrabble. Now I’m not...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests