Jane Bates: false glitter of golden hellos
Golden hellos may look attractive on the surface but a good old-fashioned pay rise is a much better way to recruit and retain nurses, says Jane Bates
Golden Hellos? What, nurses? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
Employers across the country are offering financial inducements as carrots to entice nurses to work for them.
Admittedly, these ‘golden hellos’ have fewer carats than some (sorry) but at least it is an acknowledgement that we are a finite commodity, worth our weight in gold.
No more do we ask ‘how high?’ when the NHS tells us to jump. For the first time ever we can call the shots. They are in the palm of our...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests