Jane Bates: Embrace 'hygge' this winter
Follow Danish tradition and snuggle down by the fireside to keep warm this winter, says Jane Bates
Earlier this month, NHS England and Public Health England joined forces to launch the Stay Well This Winter campaign.
Featuring adverts with front-line NHS staff, including nurses, the campaign encourages people to wrap up warm and consume hot meals and drinks to keep energy levels up.
Snuggling down by the fireside wrapped in a fleece, one hand holding an entertaining novel and the other wrapped around a cup of hot chocolate? Sounds nigh-on perfect to me.
This is something the Danes have been doing for years. Known as hygge (sounds a bit like ‘hooga’), it roughly translates to coziness and is about the Scandinavian tradition of embracing the chill and cheerless weather. Candles...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests