Jane Bates: Care means taking time to explain and be kind
As someone with severe dental phobia, finding a kind and compassionate dentist made all the difference to Jane Bates, reminding her that a nurses true skill lies in how they treat patients
Odontophobia is just what it says a fear of dentists. I am one of odontophobias leading lights put tooth and drill in the same sentence and Im off like a frightened rabbit.
Until I found a wonderful dentist, that is, a few years ago. He was different because he explained everything as he went along, even showing me the instruments he was going to use, which sounds scary but somehow wasnt. I nearly wept when he retired.
Not only was he an excellent practitioner, he was also a role model. It is a simple thing, talking a patient through an anxiety-inducing procedure. It costs very little in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests