Jane Bates: Beware the Christmas Eve cocktails
From cracked ribs to a sore back, the Yuletide festivities are not without hazard for Jane Bates
I love Christmas. As a Christian, ‘the love song’ which the angels bring, to paraphrase the carol, is what it's all about.
But as a dyed-in-the-wool Londoner, I also relish a good knees-up. Hospital staff can party rather well in my experience, but the festivities are not without hazard.
I once put my back out stomping away to I'm Gonna Be (500 miles) by The Proclaimers. Another year, I was crippled by a stiletto heel rammed into my foot while dancing to that Bon Jovi classic Livin' on a Prayer.
Last year, I cracked some ribs just before the annual merrymaking. No alcohol involved, I assure you – I fell off a chair while putting up decorations. I couldn’t eat, was scared to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests