Caroline Shuldham: Schwartz rounds help ease stress, foster teamwork
Attending Schwartz rounds enables staff to share experiences with colleagues and discuss the challenges they face. Not only does this reduce emotional stress, it leads to improved teamwork and increased empathy and compassion, says Caroline Shuldham
Findings of a new study on Schwartz rounds, published in October, show that healthcare staff who regularly share the emotional, social or ethical challenges they face in the workplace experience less psychological distress, improved teamwork, and increased empathy and compassion for patients and colleagues.
I was privileged to be part of the research team, which was led by Jill Maben during her time as professor of nursing research...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests