NHS People Plan: the crucial gap in the nursing workforce target
Varied data collection methods make it hard to gauge exact nurse numbers and vacancies
- Interim NHS People Plan to tackle biggest challenge facing NHS – a shortage of nurses
- But lack of overall system to record nurse numbers and vacancies hampers planning
- RCN review shows falls in mental health, learning disability and community nurses
The NHS is in the grip of a workforce crisis, and nothing is more pressing than the shortage of its biggest resource – nurses.
Health unions, charities, patient groups, academics, the media and even the UK governments all agree on one point: the nursing shortage needs to be addressed urgently.
This shortage is the ‘biggest single challenge’ facing the NHS workforce, according to the Interim NHS People Plan ,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests