Fears potential mature nursing students are being put off by fees
About 6,000 fewer mature students have applied to start nursing courses this coming autumn compared with last year
With the end of bursaries for nursing students in England a matter of weeks away, academics have told Nursing Standard of the need to ensure mature students are not put off by funding changes.
About 6,000 fewer mature students have applied to start nursing courses this coming autumn compared with last year.
Figures from the university admissions service UCAS show a 28% drop in the number of over-25s applying in England.
the wage at which nurses will start paying back their student loan
For critics of the government’s plans to cut the bursary from August and apply fees of up to £9,000 a year, this is the fallout...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests