Three minutes to save a life: the course designed to raise suicide awareness
University initiative aims to equip all staff and students to support people at risk
How can we prevent suicide? Is it the sole responsibility of mental health professionals, or can everyone play their part?
Nurse Clare Dickens, a senior lecturer in mental health at Wolverhampton University, believes we all need to understand how to help someone who is feeling suicidal.Clare Dickens, senior mental health lecturer at Wolverhampton University.
‘People can be petrified if they don’t know what to do,’ she says. ‘Our course is designed to give people a basic level of awareness and the confidence to do their bit in that moment.’
Support outside formal counselling services
Set up in 2015, the pioneering ‘Three minutes to save a life’ course began as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests