Spreading the word about research
If you want people to participate in research studies, ensure the experience is positive and meaningful for them
A senior research nurse working in rheumatology, Helen Hanson is helping to change the way researchers communicate with patients and staff.
Ms Hanson ran a two-year study, funded by the charity Arthritis Research UK, which looked at how to expand awareness of and recruitment to research. As part of the project she introduced a package of interventions aimed at staff, including short talks, clinic room posters and regular feedback in departmental meetings tailored to their specific audience.
She also set up a patient and public involvement (PPI) forum for individuals to work in partnership with researchers to produce better quality and more appropriate research projects.
‘Ultimately, we hope this will...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests