The specialist care home making placements a priority
Opening its doors to more students has helped Hilltop House enhance learning and recruitment
A placement in a specialist care home is not always top of the list for nursing students looking for wide-ranging experience.
But nurse manager Becky Cowell says the approach to learning at her workplace is helping to change perceptions. ‘In this kind of environment, you come across so many different scenarios,’ says Ms Cowell, who works at Hilltop House in Northampton, a care home that provides a range of services for men with brain injuries.
‘There may be physical health emergencies, alongside challenging behaviour. This mixed bag of needs gives our students such good opportunities, putting them in good stead for qualifying,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests