Setting new standards: the overhaul of nurse education
Speculation swirled for months about whether the NMC would make nurse education more generic – something critics claim would weaken specialist nursing. Now the regulator has revealed its controversial plans for the future
The Nursing and Midwifery Council has begun its consultation on an education overhaul it describes as ‘radical’. The new standards are designed to ensure all nursing students complete their courses with a solid understanding of physical and mental health care. Some nurses are alarmed by what they see as a move towards a more generic nurse education system; others are disappointed the standards do not go far enough in that direction.
The fierce debate about...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests