Where can a career in older people’s care take me?
The options are wide and varied, with new roles in frailty, says specialist nurse Nicky Hayes
*This article has been updated
With an ageing population in the UK, there has never been a better time for nurses to develop a career in caring for older people.
Roles such as advanced nurse practitioner, frailty practitioner and clinical nurse specialist for older people are proliferating in the hospital, community and care home sectors, allowing nurses to develop their skillset.
What skills do I need to specialise in older people’s care?
The core nursing skills in holistic, person-centred care provide a perfect base on which to build skills in nursing older people. Undertaking a comprehensive assessment, recognising frailty and addressing complex needs provide the contemporary framework for delivering compassionate and effective care for the older adult.
- A thorough
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests