What does a nursing support worker role involve?
Whether in education, community or acute care, these staff make a vital contribution to the team
Helping out at a friend’s nursing home inspired Dennis Greer to have a major rethink about his career, giving up hairdressing after almost 20 years to retrain as a healthcare support worker.
‘That’s where it all started. I really enjoyed the caring aspect and felt I’d found my calling,’ says Mr Greer. He joined the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast in 2000 and completed national vocational qualifications (NVQs) at levels two and three.
Growing range of responsibilities
After moving to Omagh, he took up a post in a local health centre as a senior nursing assistant. Four years ago, in his role
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests